1. Play around with an arrangement of industrial eyelets on the cover of a hardcover classic Moleskine. I put mine in a row between the elastic and the edge of the cover, but they could go anywhere.
2. Mark their positions with an opaque marker. If you're fussy, like me, use a ruler to make sure the eyelets are spaced evenly.
3. Drill holes sized for the eyelets. I used my trusty Dremel.
4. Set the eyelets in the holes using the appropriate eyelet setter and a hammer.
5. BONUS: Lace a ribbon or cord through the eyelets.