We have made necessary updates to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. You can view the full details here: Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. The new terms and privacy policy go into effect on August 10th 2016, your continued use of myMoleskine confirms your agreement to these terms. If you have any questions please contact us at: privacy@moleskine.com. close
Skip to toolbar

Materials and method used for snickers painting

Materials, besides sketching paper: Black Uni Jetstream 0.7mm; red Uni Jetstream 0.7mm; retractable Bic pencil #2.5mm; red Pilot B2P BeGreen; red Liquid Espresso Medium Point; TLC Urad total leather care cream clear shine; red pencil Sanford col-erase 20042 Vermillion; red PrismaColor col-erase 20045 Carmine Red; blue Sanford col-erase 20068 Light Blue; white Pentel Presto Jumbo Correction Pen Fine Point.

Methods: I started sketching the outlines of the painting using a retractable Bic pencil #2.5mm. Once I had the general sketch on paper, I moved on to fill the details.

I wanted to capture the casualness of one putting one foot over the other wearing his snickers. The person wearing them is irrelevant. The focus is on the footwear. One might want to venture the brand of the shoes, but then again, the brand is irrelevant.

The painting is agnostic over the question whether one foot is over another, or if they are just next to each other.

For the black brushstrokes and general dark shaded areas, I worked laboriously with a black Uni Jetstream 0.7mm. I worked both in circular and straight and arced movements to create the desired effects on texture, feel, and look. For lighter shades of black or grey, as well as for hatching, shading, and filling in, I used the retractable Bic pencil #2.5mm.

When time came to fill in the red canvas of the shoe, I started with a red PrismaColor col-erase 20045 Carmine Red. To add a warmer hue, I continued on it hatching with a red pencil Sanford col-erase 20042 Vermillion. I accentuated a few areas with a red Pilot B2P BeGreen, and a red Liquid Espresso Medium Point. At the edges of the red cloth and to add certain other details, I worked with red Uni Jetstream 0.7mm.

There are certain blueish tones and hues at the bottom half of the painting. For these I used very lightly and smoothly a blue Sanford col-erase 20068 Light Blue.

To create a patina of oldness and worn out texture, I used a combination of hatching with the retractable Bic pencil #2.5mm and overlaying the painting with TLC Urad total leather care cream clear shine. The effect was truly extraordinary, more than I expected.

At the very end, for the white stitches over the red canvas, I used white Pentel Presto Jumbo Correction Pen Fine Point. Since it left some bigger-than-desired blotches on the painting, I came back with the red pens and markers, and the black ball-pen to limit the extent of the white spots and make it look more like a stitch.

It was a lot of fun.

More posts from the same author...

Comments

@

Not recently active